The District of Saanich is offering the Step Code Implementation Rebate to promote the adoption of the BC Energy Step Code, and assist builders with the cost of hiring a new homes Energy Advisor and completing a mid-construction blower door test. This rebate enables builders to test the air tightness of the home at the mid-construction stage and upgrade any deficiencies prior to the drywall installation. Please note that this is a limited-time offer and will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis and based on available funds.
One $500 rebate is available per building permit application in the District of Saanich from June 1st, 2019 until March 31, 2022 or until funds are exhausted. Rebates will be dispersed upon the receipt of the required Step Code documentation outlined below. This rebates is funded by BC Hydro’s Step Code Implementation Funding and is administered by the District of Saanich.
- The home must have electric space heating and/or water heating systems existing in the home.
- A Pre-Construction Energy Compliance Report must be completed by a Registered Energy Advisor and be submitted with the Step Code Implementation Rebate Form
- A Mid-Construction Verification Report must be completed by a Registered Energy Advisor and be submitted with final Step Code documentation.
- An EnerGuide Label must be permanently affixed on or near the electrical panel of the home, and a copy submitted with final Step Code documentation.
Please note, that the rebate will be distributed upon receiving the Step Code Implementation Rebate Form and the Mid-Construction Verification Report.
How to Apply
- Have a Registered Energy Advisor complete a Pre-Construction Energy Compliance Report.
- Submit a completed rebate application form with the Pre-Construction Energy Compliance Report completed by your Registered Energy Advisor, and Building Permit Application, to the District of Saanich’s Building Inspections Services at the below mailing address or email.
- Have a Registered Energy Advisor complete a Mid-Construction Verification Report by a Registered Energy Advisor.
- Submit the Mid-Construction Verification Report with supporting Step Code Documentation to the below mailing address or email to receive the rebate.
- Mailing Address:
Saanich Municipal Hall
770 Vernon Avenue, Victoria, BC
- Email: Glenys Verhulst at email@example.com
- Mailing Address:
- The Saanich Step Code Implementation Rebate application can be submitted at any time during the construction process. Note that a Mid-Construction Verification Report is required before a rebate can be approved.
- As of June 1, 2019 all new Part 9 building applications will be required to provide and affix within the home an:
- EnerGuide Rating Label, or
- Passive House Certificate, or
- A comparable energy label accepted by the District of Saanich.
Please see the District of Saanich Step Code Fact Sheet for more information.
- The building permits applied for on or after January 1st, 2020 must demonstrate compliance with the Step Codes adopted for the following eligible building types:
- Step 3 for Part 9 homes (excluding small single family dwellings less than 1,200 ft2)
- Step 2 for Part 9 small single family dwellings less than 1,200 ft2
- Step 3 for Part 3 mid-rise/wood-frame residential buildings (6 storeys and under)
- Step 2 for Part 3 concrete high-rise residential buildings (over 6-storeys)
Step 2 for Part 3 commercial buildings
- The Mid-Construction Verification Report is not based on a pass or fail submission of the mid-construction test. It only serves to inform how construction is progressing in reference to the energy model. Where the rate of air change is found to exceed the rate modelled by more than 1.5 air changes per hour (ACH), the recommendation is that additional air tightness measures are implemented and the building retested until the differential is less than 1.5 ACH. Experience from other jurisdictions shows that failure to do so may result in issues at occupancy that are challenging to resolve.
- Glenys Verhulst, Sustainability Planner firstname.lastname@example.org 250-471-5471 https://www.saanich.ca/EN/main/community/sustainable-saanich/bc-energy-step-code.html