FortisBC is offering up to $1,000 rebate for replacing your current water heater with a high-efficiency ENERGY STAR® natural gas water heater. Tankless and storage tank water heater systems are eligible for this rebate.
This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus of the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program.
|Water Heater||Rebate Amount|
|ENERGY STAR 0.67EF storage tank||$200|
|ENERGY STAR condensing tankless||$1,000|
|ENERGY STAR condensing storage tank||$1,000|
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer.
- Homes primarily heated by natural gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas are not eligible.
- Electricity, natural gas, oil, or propane is the primary heating fuel for the home.
- To count the upgrade towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, the water heater must:
- Be installed in an eligible home.
- Home must be a year-round primary residence that is at least 12 months old.
- Self-installations are not eligible.
- The natural gas water heater must be on the list of qualifying models.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Program Requirements and Additional Terms and Conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible natural gas water heater and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- The online application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and Post-Upgrade EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Need help submitting your application? Call the FortisBC Contact Centre for support.
- For gas customers: 1-855-909-2329
- For electric customers: 1-855-909-2331
- Learn more about gas water heaters and find out which model is right for you.
- Eligibility requirements and rebates are based on the date of the invoice. See the What Rebates are Available FAQ for information on how invoice date effects associated upgrade requirements and available rebates.
- What do the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Programs define as my Primary Heating System?
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.