FortisBC is offering up to $1,000 rebate for replacing your current water heater with a high-efficiency natural gas water heater. Tankless and storage tank water heater systems are eligible for this rebate.
This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus of the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program.
|Water Heater||Rebate Amount|
|ENERGY STAR 0.67EF storage tank||$200|
|ENERGY STAR condensing tankless||$1,000|
|ENERGY STAR condensing storage tank||$1,000|
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer.
- Homes primarily heated by natural gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas are not eligible.
- Electricity, natural gas, oil, or propane is the primary heating fuel for the home.
- Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- To count the upgrade towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, the water heater must:
- The natural gas water heater must be on the list of qualifying models.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Program Requirements and Additional Terms and Conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible natural gas water heater and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- If you are applying through the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- If you are applying directly through FortisBC, submit the FortisBC Water Heater Program Application Form instead of the online application above.
- The online application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The FortisBC Water Heater Program Application Form must be submitted within 60 days of the water heater purchase date.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and Post-Upgrade EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Learn more about gas water heaters and find out which model is right for you.
- Eligibility requirements and rebates are based on the date of the invoice. See the What Rebates are Available FAQ for information on how invoice date effects associated upgrade requirements and available rebates.
- What do the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Programs define as my Primary Heating System?
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.