FortisBC is offering up to $2,500 to income-qualified customers who install an eligible natural gas ENERGY STAR® water heater.
Rebates range from $500 to $2,500 for eligible natural gas ENERGY STAR water heaters.
|Water Heater||Rebate Amount*|
|Condensing storage tank
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer with only one active residential natural gas account.
- You must be replacing an existing water heater.
- Your home must be 10+ years old and less than 3,500 square feet.
- You must meet income-qualified requirements and proof of income is required. Visit this page for full income eligibility details. Total household income includes the combined income of all members of the household over the age of 18. Utility may, at its discretion, accept or require alternative or additional proof of income, including: proof of rental, foreign and other sources of income.
- To count the upgrade towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, the water heater must:
- Be installed in an eligible home.
- Home must be a year-round primary residence that is at least 12 months old.
- You must have purchased (and paid in full) and installed your water heater on or after April 1, 2019.
- The natural gas water heater must be on the following lists of qualifying models:
- Note: combination heating and hot water system rebates are not available to income-qualified customers. To access combination space and water heating system rebates, see the FortisBC Natural Gas Boiler and Combination Heating and Hot Water Rebate.
How to Apply
- If you wish, request a pre-qualification code. This will help the gas contractor installing your heating system know which rebates you’re eligible for.
- Carefully read the program requirements and the terms and conditions on the application form to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible natural gas water heater and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- If you’re not the utility account holder (e.g. rental property), have the account holder complete the Utility Account Holder Consent form.
- Complete the income-qualified rebate application and include supporting documentation within 1 year of the installation date. A FortisBC account is required. See a sample invoice for water heaters to view the invoice requirements. The application includes:
- You must submit your application within 1 year of the installation date.
- Learn more about water heaters and find out which model is right for you.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded by FortisBC, the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.