As part of the Home Renovation Rebate and CleanBC Better Homes Program, you can receive up to $5,500 in rebates for installing insulation in your home. Insulation can help maintain more even temperatures throughout your home, reduce unwanted outdoor noise, and reduce heat loss during the cold winter months. Insulation upgrades can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- Rebates are calculated based on the R-value of new insulation added. In cases where pre-existing insulation was removed (Eg. Due to pest infestation or mold), the rebate will be calculated on the difference in R-Value between the new and pre-existing insulation.
|Location Installed||Rebate Amount||Minimum Amount of New Insulation Added||Maximum Rebate||Bonus Eligibility|
|Attic – flat and cathedral ceiling||$0.02 x R-value x square feet||R12||$900||Each location that achieves a minimum of $500 rebate qualifies as one bonus-eligible upgrade|
|Exterior wall cavities||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R12||$1,200|
|Exterior wall sheathing||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R3.8||$1,200|
|Basement/crawlspace walls||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R10||$1,200|
|Other (exposed floor, floor over crawlspace*, basement header)||$0.07 x R-value x square feet||R20||$1,000|
*Rebate available for crawlspace walls OR floor over crawlspace, but not both.
- You must have a residential utility account with FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility.
- Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas, piped-propane, or electricity supplied by FortisBC (rebate sponsored by FortisBC)
- Electricity supplied by BC Hydro (rebate sponsored by BC Hydro)
- Natural Gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas (rebate sponsored by CleanBC)
- Oil or propane not supplied by FortisBC or electricity supplied by a municipal utility (rebate sponsored by CleanBC)
- Premises primarily heated by wood or other solid fuels are not eligible.
- When the home is heated with electricity supplied by BC Hydro, the home must meet a minimum electricity consumption. Use the BC Hydro Home Renovation Rebate program eligibility tool to determine whether your home meets the minimum electricity consumption rates.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- Home must be a year-round primary residence that is at least 12 months old.
- The insulation must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work and in accordance with the BC Standards of Practice Guide for Air Sealing and Insulation Retrofits.
- The use of a Program Registered Contractor (PRC) is required to receive a rebate on an insulation upgrade completed and invoiced on or after April 1, 2021. Self-installations are not eligible.
- Eligible insulation types are rolls or batts, blown-in, loose fill, rigid board, and spray foam.
- Pest infestations and rodent tunnels in the insulation must be resolved prior to installation of new insulation. Presence of a pest infestation in the new insulation must be remediated to receive the rebate.
- A minimum rebate value of $500 is required for each insulation location to be eligible for either the Two Upgrade Bonus or Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Program Requirements and Additional Terms and Conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Have your insulation installed by a Program Registered Contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- Important Note: if you are submitting a bonus offer application that includes both a heat pump and a natural gas fireplace or natural gas hot water heater, use this online form.
Utility After Upgrade
BC Hydro Electricity (including New Westminster) Online Application FortisBC Electricity (including Grand Forks, Summerland, Penticton and Nelson Hydro) Online Application FortisBC Natural Gas or Propane Online Application PNG Natural Gas Online Application
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Eligibility requirements and rebates are based on the date of the invoice. See the What Rebates are Available FAQ for information on how invoice date effects associated upgrade requirements and available rebates.
- What do the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Programs define as my Primary Heating System?
- For more information on the minimum electricity consumption requirement for homes heated with electricity provided by BC Hydro, see our FAQs:
- Learn more about insulation upgrades by reading our insulation FAQs.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.