The Indigenous Communities Conservation Program is for Indigenous communities (Bands) and provides free energy-saving products including LED light bulbs, showerheads, faucet aerators, and weatherstripping from BC Hydro. The program is also providing the training needed to upgrade homes in these communities for local contractors and installers. BC Hydro is offering rebates on home efficiency upgrades including: insulation, ventilation, windows, doors, heat pumps, and new appliances.
The Indigenous Community Conservation Program is offering two options to assist Bands in completing home upgrades. Bands can choose one or both options depending on the renovations they are planning on completing.
- Bands can receive free energy-savings products, salary support and installation training to complete upgrades such as energy efficient lighting, high performance faucets and showerheads, and basic draftproofing.
- Bands and their contractors can receive training to complete larger upgrades such as insulation, air sealing, ventilation, and heat pumps and apply for rebates to support the costs.
- You must live in an Indigenous community (Band) located in BC Hydro’s service territory
This program is ideal for Bands that have:
- Plans to complete energy efficiency upgrades (or have already started renovations) and are looking for support to improve energy efficiency
- Job readiness programs or trades training that provide local skilled labour
- Previously participated in the Energy Conservation Assistance Program but are interested in completing additional home efficiency upgrades
How to Apply
BC Hydro is working directly with communities to assist with the application process. To get started contact BC Hydro at 1-866-266-6366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Program works with a designated Project Lead in your community and is responsible for working with BC Hydro to coordinate and deliver one or both options of the program.
The Project Lead will be responsible for:
- Ordering free energy-saving products for homes through BC Hydro
- Hiring individuals to install free energy-saving products (with salary support from BC Hydro)
- Coordinating training for Band staff as well as local contractors/installers
- Coordinating home visits where trained individuals will assess the potential for energy upgrades and install free energy-saving products in homes
- Applying to BC Hydro for rebates on eligible upgrades that have been installed
- Currently there is no deadline for the Indigenous Communities Conservation Program.
Training will be provided to all Project Leads, corresponding Band staff and local contractors/installers for:
- Assessing homes for relevant energy efficiency upgrades
- Installing free energy-saving products in homes
- Best practices for Air Sealing and Insulation Retrofits