The Home Energy Improvement Bonus provides $750 to $2,000 for installing three or more eligible energy efficiency upgrades between two EnerGuide home evaluations. Receive $20 for every percentage you reduce your EnerGuide rating (Gigajoule/ year) between your pre- and post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluations. For more information see How does the home Energy Improvement Bonus work? and How much will my rebate be for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus?
- You must be a FortisBC, BC Hydro, or municipal utility.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas or piped-propane supplied by FortisBC
- Electricity supplied by FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility
- Oil or propane not supplied FortisBC
- Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- You must complete a pre-upgrade upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation before installing bonus eligible upgrades and a post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation after finishing the installation of your upgrades.
- You must install a minimum of three bonus-eligible upgrades and have a post-upgrade evaluation within 18 months of the date of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- The pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation must be completed on or after September 28, 2018. The post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation must be completed after September 28, 2018.
- Home must be a year-round primary residence that is at least 12 months old.
Individual Upgrade Requirements
In addition to all eligibility requirements for the individual rebates, you must meet the requirements as listed below:
- Insulation – must have a minimum rebate value of $500 per location. Eligible locations are attic, exterior wall cavity, exterior wall sheathing and basement and crawlspace walls. Each location is considered one upgrade.
- Primary heating system (mini-split air source heat pump, central system air source heat pump,combination space and water heat pump, natural gas furnace or boiler) – a maximum of one system is eligible for the rebate.
- Secondary heating system (natural gas fireplace) – a maximum of one fireplace can be counted toward the bonus and must replace an existing gas fireplace.
- Water Heater (heat pump water heater, natural gas water heater) – a maximum of one hot water system can be counted towards the bonus.
- Windows and doors – must achieve a minimum rebate value of $250.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Program Requirements and Additional Terms and Conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Complete a pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation with a Program-Qualified Energy Advisor and apply for the Pre-Upgrade EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate within 6 months of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Install three or more bonus-eligible individual upgrades.
- Complete a post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- Important Note: if you are submitting a bonus offer application that includes both a heat pump and a natural gas fireplace or natural gas hot water heater, use this online form.
Utility After Upgrade
BC Hydro Electricity (including New Westminster) Online Application FortisBC Electricity (including Grand Forks, Summerland, Penticton and Nelson Hydro) Online Application FortisBC Natural Gas or Propane Online Application PNG Natural Gas Online Application
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of each upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and Post-Upgrade EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- You can receive the Home Energy Improvement Bonus or the Two Upgrade Bonus, but not both.
- Effective October 1, 2020, the minimum amount the Home Energy Improvement Bonus provides is $750. The maximum amount provided is $2,000.
- Eligibility requirements and rebates are based on the date of the invoice. See the What Rebates are Available FAQ for information of how invoice date effects associated upgrade requirements and available rebates.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.