The Vancouver Heritage Foundation is offering discounted EnerGuide home evaluations and a rebate of up to $14,000 for heritage homes in the City of Vancouver through the Heritage Energy Retrofit Grant (HERG). The grant amount is based on greenhouse gas emission savings through energy efficiency upgrades completed between a pre- and a post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation. This program is designed to complement the incentive program available through CleanBC, BC Hydro, FortisBC and other municipal or provincial programs available.
- $145 pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation discount.
- Free post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation ($210 discount).
- Up to $10,000 rebate based on $150 per tonne of greenhouse gas emission reduction per year for the estimated lifetime of the retrofits. Rebate amounts available through other energy efficiency upgrade rebate programs are subtracted from the HERG rebate. Up to $14,000 are available when installing a heat pump.
- $300 per storm window to a maximum of $3,000. This rebate is included in the the total rebate of $10,000 or $14,000, respectively.
- $100 per high efficiency toilet for a maximum of $200.
- Homes must be located in the City of Vancouver.
- Rental homes require the homeowner to apply.
- Your home must be constructed prior to 1940 or be listed on the Vancouver Heritage Register (VHR). Check the construction date using VanMap and the VHR.
- Your home must be primarily heated with natural gas or oil. Homes primarily heated by electricity are not eligible.
- Premises primarily heated by wood or other solid fuels are not eligible.
- Your home must be a single family dwelling, side-by-side duplex, or side-by-side row home or townhouse.
- You must complete a pre- and post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the terms and conditions of the program.
- Apply for HERG using the online application form.
- Once accepted into the program Vancouver Heritage Foundation will coordinate a discounted pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation of your home with a partner organization.
- You will be provided with the EnerGuide reports as well as the Vancouver GHG Reduction Opportunities Report that outlines the rebates you could expect for completing specific upgrades.
- After completing energy efficiency upgrades, you will complete a post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Your rebate amount will be calculated based on the modeled greenhouse gas emission saving between your pre- and post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis between December 2019 and November, 2021.
- Upgrades and a post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation must be completed within 18 months of the pre-upgrade evaluation and by August 31, 2023.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- ‘I have a heritage home, should I install new windows or storm windows for my original windows?’
- ‘What home energy improvement resources are available for owners of heritage or character homes?’
- ‘Which upgrades are most appropriate for preserving the heritage and character elements of a home and achieving energy savings?’
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.