FortisBC is offering up to $1,000 when replacing your old gas furnace with an eligible high-efficiency ENERGY STAR® model.
This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus of the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program.
|New heating system||Rebate Amount|
|95-96.9% AFUE furnace||$800 (If installed after October 01, 2019)
$500 (If installed before October 01, 2019)
|97-99% AFUE furnace||$1000 (If installed after October 01, 2019)
$700 (If installed before October 01 ,2019)
- Optional: Connected thermostat – $150
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer.
- Homes primarily heated by natural gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas are not eligible.
- Natural gas must be your current primary heating system fuel type.
- To count the upgrade towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, the furnace must:
- Your existing furnace must be at least 10 years old and must not require repairs in excess of $1,000 (pre-tax, including parts and labour). Emergency replacements are not eligible.
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace with a two-pipe direct vent system (sample 1, sample 2). Please see the eligible model list for furnaces. The new heating system must become your primary heating system.
- Connected thermostats must be installed by your licensed contractor at the same time as the new qualifying furnace installation and must be on the eligible model list for connected thermostats.
How to Apply
Apply to the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program
- Carefully read the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible natural gas furnace and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor. Optional: Purchase and install and eligible connected thermostat.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
Apply directly to FortisBC
- If you are not eligible through the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, you may still be able to apply directly to FortisBC. Carefully read the terms and conditions on the application form to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible natural gas furnace and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the customer section of the application in full and have your contractor complete their part, as well as the furnace commissioning sheet, if applicable. You must also include a photo of the new two-pipe direct vent system installed in your home and a copy of your invoice showing details of all work performed, purchase date, make and model number and installation permit number.
- Email your complete application and copies of supporting documents within 6 months of the invoice date to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can mail the application package to the address indicated on the application form.
- Application must be emailed or postmarked within 6 months of the invoice date of your natural gas furnace or boiler installation.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Check out FortisBC’s Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
- If your upgrade invoice is between October 01, 2019 and December 31,2019, see What if I started my renovations between October 01, 2019 and December 31, 2019?
- If your upgrade invoice is between April 01, 2019 and September 30, 2019, see What if I started my renovations between April 01, 2019 and September 30, 2019?
- If your upgrade invoice is between September 29, 2018 and March 30, 2019, see What if I started my renovations before April 01, 2019?
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, see What if I started my renovations before September 28, 2018?
- What do the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Programs define as my Primary Heating System?
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded, in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.