FortisBC is offering up to a $3,000 rebate for a furnace, or a $2,000 rebate for a boiler, to income-qualified customers who install an eligible natural gas ENERGY STAR® furnace or boiler.
|Furnace or Boiler||Rebate Amount*|
|95 to 96.9% annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) natural gas furnace
|97 to 99% AFUE natural gas furnace
|94% or higher AFUE boiler
|Furnace Manufacturer Connected Thermostat
- You are eligible for one primary space heating system rebate per home, regardless of the number of systems installed. For example, you cannot get a rebate for a furnace and heat pump, even if you install a new dual fuel heat pump system. Your second rebate application will be denied.
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer with only one active residential natural gas account and have a natural gas primary heating system.
- You must meet income-qualified requirements and proof of income is required. Visit this page for full income eligibility details. Total household income includes the combined income of all members of the household over the age of 18. Utility may, at its discretion, accept or require alternative or additional proof of income, including: proof of rental, foreign and other sources of income.
- Your existing furnace or boiler must be at least 10 years old and must not require repairs in excess of $1,000 (pre-tax, including parts and labour). Emergency replacements of a boiler that is not in working order or is deemed unsafe to operate are not eligible.
- You must have purchased, installed, and paid in full for your furnace or boiler on, or after, April 1, 2019.
- Your home must be 10+ years old and less than 3,500 square feet.
- To count the upgrade towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, the furnace or boiler must:
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace or boiler with a two-pipe direct vent system. P9 Systems are exempt from the two-pipe direct vent system requirement. Manufacturer’s instructions permitting alternatives are not eligible. A photo of the two-pipe direct vent system must be made available upon request (sample 1, sample 2).
- The system must undergo commissioning to ensure it is installed and operating according to best practice. A copy of the completed commissioning sheet must be made available upon request.
- Furnaces and boilers must be 80,000 Btu/hr or less to qualify for the offer.
- The furnace or boiler must be on the following lists of qualifying models:
- Connected thermostats must be installed by your licensed contractor at the same time as the new qualifying furnace installation and must be on the eligible model list for connected thermostats.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the program requirements and the terms and conditions on the application form to confirm your eligibility. Watch a short video by FortisBC to learn more about how to apply for your furnace or boiler rebates.
- If you wish, request a pre-qualification code. This will help the gas contractor installing your heating system know which rebates you’re eligible for.
- Purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR natural gas furnace or boiler and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- If you’re not the utility account holder (e.g. rental property), have the account holder complete the Utility Account Holder Consent form.
- Complete the online application form and submit support documents including proof of income within 1 year of installation date. A FortisBC account is required. You must include it with with your application form:
- You must submit your application within 1 year of the installation date.
- Check out FortisBC’s quality install video “Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed”.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded by FortisBC, the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.