FortisBC’s New Home Construction program is designed to support the adoption of the BC Energy Step Code, advance higher efficiency new construction, and enable homeowners to enjoy lower energy bills and more comfortable, durable, and healthy homes. The FortisBC New Home Step Code Rebates are available for homes with building permits after March 29, 2018.
Choose from either option A or B below. And for projects located in FortisBC’s electricity service area, additional ENERGY STAR appliance rebates are also available.
Option A – Build a Home to BC Energy Step Code 2 or higher
|Home performance rebate||Energy advisor support rebate||Additional rebates|
|Step 2 – $1,000||
|Step 3 – $2,000|
|Step 4 – $4,000|
|Step 5 – $8,000|
Option B – Build a Home to BC Energy Step Code 1 and select from the following rebates
|Eligible high-efficiency water heaters||Energy advisor support rebate||Additional rebates|
|ENERGY STAR 0.67 EF storage tank- $200||
|ENERGY STAR condensing tankless- $1,000|
|ENERGY STAR condensing storage tank – $1,000|
|ENERGY STAR natural gas combination heating and hot water system – $1,200|
|P9 combination heating and hot water system – $1,200|
|Heat pump water heater – $1,000|
- If your development is located in the City of Vancouver, or a municipality that has adopted Step Code 3 or higher, the energy advisor rebate for builders is not available; however, $100 will continue to go to the energy advisor.
- If a municipality has not adopted Step Code, FortisBC Provides $500 in energy advisor support with $100 going to the energy advisor at mid-construction and $400 going to the builder when construction is complete.
- If your project is located in FortisBC’s electricity service area, additional rebates are also available on ENERGY STAR washers, electric dryers and fridges:
- Eligible washers – $100
- Eligible electric dryers – $100 to $250
- Eligible fridges – $50 to $100
- Heat pump water heater – $1,000 (available only when choosing option B above)
- The home must be new construction and built in FortisBC’s electricity* and/or natural gas service area.
- The home must be one of the following building types:
- Detached House (may include a secondary suite)
- Attached House (e.g. semi-detached, townhouses, duplexes, tripleces, row house)
- Laneway House
- Builders must work with a registered EnerGuide Rating System energy advisor in order to access the New Home Construction program.
- Builders pursuing Step 5 rebates must contact the program to confirm program eligibility.
- The building permit must be issued March 29, 2018 or later.
- Qualifying makes and models are listed at fortisbc.com/newhome.
*Includes Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland and Nelson Hydro
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions available at fortisbc.com/newhome to confirm your eligibility.
- To register your project at the mid-construction phase, contact your Energy Advisor. Supporting documents include:
- Builder declaration
- Pre-construction BC Energy Compliance Report
- EnerGuide P Report (EnerGuide Homeowner Information Sheet)
- If a pre-drywall blower door was performed, preliminary blower fan extrapolated results.
- Apply for the rebates at the post-construction phase by contacting your Energy Advisor and including:
- If the project was not registered at the mid-construction phase, submit the builder declaration
- For BC Step Code Steps 2-4 rebates, copy of as-built BC Energy Compliance Report
- EnerGuide N Report (EnerGuide Homeowner Information Sheet)
- EnerGuide label
- If applying for appliance rebates, include copies of legible, itemized invoices showing purchase and installation date, make, model and serial number and other relevant information
The following forms must be submitted within 6 months of the date of issuance of an occupancy permit for the development:
- Post-construction application
- Gas rebate application
- Electric Rebate Application
- Energy Advisor Supported Application
- If a home does not meet target metrics, rebates for the equivalent lower step can still be pursued as long as an occupancy permit has been issued.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.