Through the Federal and Provincial Government GST/HST New Housing Rebate Program, you may be eligible to receive a new housing rebate for some of the GST/HST paid for new constructed or substantially renovated residential homes.
The GST/HST new housing rebate allows an individual to recover some of the GST or the federal part of the HST paid for a new or substantially renovated house. Other provincial new housing rebates may also be available for the provincial part of the HST. Rebates are administered to the person who paid the GST/HST. Please visit the program website for details on which rebates are available.
- Have recently purchased new housing or constructed or substantially renovated housing, for use as your primary place of residence.
- Have constructed or substantially renovated your own home, or hired someone else to construct or substantially renovate your home for use as your primary place of residence and the fair market value of the home when construction is complete is less than $450,000.
How to Apply
- Complete the applicable application form and include appropriate documents with your application, as indicated under the applicable rebate you are claiming.
- Submit the application to the address indicated on the bottom of the applicable application form.
- Currently there are no deadlines for this program.
- You must keep all applicable forms and supporting documentation for a period of 6 years after the rebate is administered.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
Program Contact Information
- Government of Canada 1-800-959-8287 or 1-800-959-5525