The CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program is offering a $500 rebate for upgrading your electrical service to 100, 200, or 400 amp service for your home when upgrading from a fossil fuel primary space or water heating system to a primary electrical space or water heating system.
- $500 in rebates for upgrading your electrical service to 100, 200 or 400 amp service in combination with any heat pump space heating or heat pump water heating rebate for systems that were previously fossil fuel fired equipment.
- Select municipalities have Municipal Offers of up to an additional $500 that can be accessed only when converting from fossil fuel heating (natural gas, oil, or propane) to an electric air-source heat pump and completing the electrical service upgrade.
- The invoice date for the installed electrical service and heat pump must be on or after January 01, 2020.
- You must have an invoice from the utility (BC Hydro or FortisBC) and an invoice from the electrical contractor for the work provided. Applications without both invoices will not be eligible.
- Your upgrades must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work.
- You must have a residential utility account with FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility.
- Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas or piped-propane supplied by FortisBC
- Natural Gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas
- Oil or propane not supplied FortisBC
- Must be converting from a fossil fueled primary space or water heating system to electric primary space or water heating system to be eligible to receive this rebate.
- Premises primarily heated by wood or other solid fuels are not eligible.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
- The electrical service upgrade must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work.
- Service must be for a 100, 200, or 400 amp electrical service.
- Eligible expenses covered by the rebate:
- utility connection fees
- electrical panel or sub-panel upgrade
- service mast alterations or replacement
- conduit replacement, meter base alterations or replacements
- weather head alteration or replacement
- Rebate amount will be equal to the total eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $500.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Terms and Conditions of the program to confirm your eligibility.
- Have your new electrical service installed by a licensed contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- This rebate is not eligible for the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- Rebates are issued based on the date of the invoice.
- If your upgrade invoice is between October 01, 2019 and December 31,2019, see What if I started my renovations between October 01, 2019 and December 31, 2019?
- If your upgrade invoice is between April 01, 2019 and September 30, 2019, see What if I started my renovations between April 01, 2019 and September 30, 2019?
- If your upgrade invoice is between September 29, 2018 and March 30, 2019, see What if I started my renovations before April 01, 2019?
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, see What if I started my renovations before September 28, 2018?
- What do the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Programs define as my Primary Heating System?
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded, in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.