The CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program is offering a $1,000 rebate for upgrading your current water heater to a qualifying electric heat pump water heater. An ENERGY STAR certified heat pump water heater is the most efficient way to heat hot water with electricity and is the most climate-friendly form of water heating available in BC. This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- The invoice date for the installed heat pump water heater must be on or after September 28, 2018.
- Your upgrades must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work.
- You must have a residential utility account with FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility.
- Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas or piped-propane supplied by FortisBC
- Electricity supplied by FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility
- Oil or propane not supplied FortisBC
- Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
- The heat pump must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work.
- Your heat pump water heater must be found on the eligible models list. Only models listed in Tier 2 or higher are eligible for the rebate.
- Replacement of an existing electric heat pump water heater is not eligible for a rebate. The unit must be new and not part of a previous installation.
- In the case of Premises where water was heated primarily by fossil fuel (oil, natural gas or propane) before the heat pump water heater upgrade, the heat pump water heater must replace the fossil fuel water heating system and all such fossil fuel water heating equipment (piping, appliances, fuel containers, vents and associated infrastructure) must be removed or decommissioned in accordance with all applicable laws.
- Homes that are fuel switching from a fossil fuel (oil, natural gas or propane) to electric add-on systems, split systems and combination space and water heating systems require pre-approval from the Province prior to installation to confirm eligibility. Email email@example.com for pre-approval.
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase a qualifying tier 2 or 3 heat pump water heater and have it installed by a licensed contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Rebates are issued based on the date of the invoice.
- If you installed upgrades prior to April 01, 2019, see What if I started my renovations before April 01, 2019?
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, see What if I started my renovations before September 28, 2018?
- Learn more about heat pump water heaters by reading our heat pump water heater FAQs.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded, in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.