The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Green Home Program provides either a 15% or 25% premium refund on your mortgage loan insurance when you purchase or construct a new home or renovate for energy efficiency that meets or exceeds eligible building standards.
Homes built under eligible building standards
|Building Standard||Insurance Refund|
|LEED Canada for Homes||15%|
Homes renovated for energy efficiency
If you purchase an existing home and make energy efficient improvements you may be eligible for CMHC Green Home premium refund, have it assessed by an energy advisor licensed with Natural Resources Canada. Your advisor will measure your home’s efficiency.
|EnerGuide rating||EnerGuide rating|
|0-100 scale||Gigajoules scale|
rating is < 55
rating is ≥ 55
rating is ≥ 200
rating is < 200
|15% Insurance Premium Refund||Minimum increase of 10 points, with resulting rating of at least 60||Minimum increase of 5 points||Minimum decrease of 45 GJ/year, with resulting GJ/year not to exceed 250||Minimum decrease of 20 GJ/year|
|25% Insurance Premium Refund||Minimum increase of 20 points, with resulting rating of at least 60||Minimum increase of 10 points||Minimum decrease of 90 GJ/year, with resulting GJ/year not to exceed 250||Minimum decrease of 45 GJ/year|
- You must have purchased or constructed a new energy efficient home and purchase mortgage loan insurance from CMHC.
- You must be renovating an existing home with energy efficient upgrades.
How to Apply
- Purchase or construct a new home built to eligible building standards or Purchase an existing home and make energy efficiency improvements.
- Complete the application form and submit by either:
Fax: 1 800 245-9274
Or Mail: CMHC, 700 Montreal Road (Suite 1000),Ottawa, ON, K1A 0P7
- Include with your application the CMHC eligible energy-efficient building standard certificate, or the first page of the EnerGuide performance report showing the EnerGuide rating of the house.
- Allow at least 6 weeks for your application to be processed. If you are eligible for refund, a cheque will be mailed to you directly at the address you provided.
- Application must be submitted within 24 months of the closing date of the mortgage.
- Supporting energy efficiency documentation can be no more than 5 years old.
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.