The CleanBC Better Homes Income Qualified Program is offering a rebate of up to $1,600 for the installation of a bathroom fan or a heat recovery ventilator to improve air circulation in the home.
You may be eligible to receive enhanced rebates that cover 60–95% of your home upgrade costs, with maximum rebate values of up to $1,600 if you install a bathroom fan or a heat recovery ventilator in your home.
Income level 1
Income level 2
To receive enhanced rebates through the CleanBC Better Homes Income Qualified Program, you must:
- Meet the income qualification requirements below:
- Rebate coverage is based on the combined income of all adults in your home and how many people live in your home, including adults and children. Combined incomes less than Income Level 1 are eligible for up to 95% of upgrade costs. Combined incomes less than Income Level 2 are eligible for up to 60% of upgrade costs.
Number of people living in your home
(including adults and children)
Combined pre-tax annual income of all adults in your home (excluding dependants):
Income Level 1
Income Level 2
|7 or more||$112,718||$147,943|
- Live in a home that is a year-round primary residence, is at least 12 months old, and one of the following types of residential buildings:
- single family home (detached dwelling).
- secondary suite in a single-family home (detached dwelling); the home and secondary suite must be individually metered.
- mobile home on a permanent foundation.
- duplex, triplex, row home or townhome, where each unit has its own natural gas and/or electricity meter. Utility accounts must be in the name of the resident and/or homeowner; utility accounts in the name of a strata corporation are not eligible.
- If you currently rent your home, you will need a landlord consent form to accompany your application.
- Pay your own energy utility bills. Utility accounts must be in the name of the resident and/or homeowner; utility accounts in the name of a strata corporation or landlord are not eligible.
- You must pre-register and receive an eligibility code before completing the upgrade.
- Must be installed in association with an eligible CleanBC Income Qualified Program heat pump, heat pump water heater, insulation, or windows/doors upgrade.
- Eligible ventilation equipment includes bathroom fan systems and heat recovery ventilators installed to improve air circulation in the home.
- Bathroom fans must meet the following requirements:
- fans must be ENERGY STAR® certified and listed on the US Environmental Protection Agency and US Department of Energy’s searchable product list.
- fans must be ducted directly to the outside of the premises and at least one fan must be installed in the main bathroom, which contains a bathtub and/or shower.
- fans must have a capacity of at least 85 cfm (40 L/s), at static pressure of 50 pa (0.2” w.c.).
- fans must be rated for continuous duty and equipped with permanently lubricated motors.
- fans must be equipped with self-closing backdraft damper to prevent air flow during “off” periods.
- ducts must be sealed at joints with duct sealer or aluminum duct sealing tape.
- ducts must be insulated to minimum R4 (RSI 0.75) if exhausting warm air through unheated spaces.
- duct hoods should be screened with ¼” (6 mm) to ½” (12 mm) mesh, of corrosion-resistant material to shield from weather, birds and rodents.
- Heat recovery ventilators must meet the following requirements:
- heat recovery ventilators must be ENERGY STAR® certified and listed on Natural Resource’s Canada’s searchable product list.
- be installed in accordance with the BC Housing Heat Recovery Ventilation Guide for Houses.
- emergency replacement of a broken heat/energy recovery ventilator is eligible.
- All upgrades must be installed by a Registered Contractor who is approved to install home upgrades for the CleanBC Income Qualified Program, for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed (e.g. Heat pumps must be installed by a licensed residential heating and cooling contractor).
How to Participate
- Confirm eligibility by reviewing the Rebate Eligibility Requirements, Participant Terms and Conditions, and Contractor Terms and Conditions.
- Complete the program’s pre-screen and pre-registration to determine your eligibility through the CleanBC Income Qualified Program participant portal. Once confirmed you will receive an eligibility code and opportunities report, outlining your suggested upgrades. You can also make an appointment with an income qualified program coach or schedule a virtual assessment for pre-registration assistance or support to identify the best upgrades for your home.
- Customer must choose an Income Qualified Program Registered Contractor to complete the upgrade.
- Contractors interested in becoming registered in the Income Qualified Program can contact IQPcontractorsupport@clearesult.com.
- After completing the upgrade, contractor will submit the rebate application and deduct the rebate from the final cost of the upgrade.
- The rebate application and supporting documentation must be submitted by the Registered Contractor within six (6) months of the invoice date.
- See Income Qualified Program sample invoices.
- Check out other available rebates for the Income Qualified Program at BetterHomesBC.ca/Income-Qualified
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.