FortisBC is offering a rebate of $300 for upgrading to a high-efficiency natural gas EnerChoice gas fireplace.
This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus of the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program.
- $300 for upgrading to a high-efficiency natural gas EnerChoice gas fireplace.
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer.
- Homes primarily heated by natural gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas are not eligible.
- Electricity, natural gas, oil, propane, or wood is the primary heating fuel for the home.
- To count the upgrade towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program, the natural gas fireplace must:
- The EnerChoice rated, free-standing stove, fireplace or insert you purchase must be on the eligible model list.
- Fireplaces must be used for heating interior spaces; outdoor fireplace installations are not eligible for a rebate.
- The product must be direct-vented (sealed), not using a standing pilot, and must be modulating (which turns the heat down once desired temperature is reached).
- Any number of fireplaces may be installed in the home and qualify for a rebate.
- A maximum of one fireplace upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- To count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus the EnerChoice fireplace must be replacing an existing gas fireplace in the home.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Program Requirements and Additional Terms and Conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible EnerChoice natural gas fireplace and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- Upgrade must be completed and invoiced by June 30, 2021 to access the Double the Rebate offer. A Double the Rebate promo code is required; see the Double the Rebate page for more information.
- The online application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and Post-Upgrade EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Need help submitting your application? Call the FortisBC Contact Centre for support.
- For gas customers: 1-855-909-2329
- For electric customers: 1-855-909-2331
- FortisBC’s EnerChoice® Fireplace Rebate Program has been expanded to strata residents. Often the gas account in a strata is set up as a commercial customer in the strata’s name, making it previously ineligible. However, effective April 3, 2018 strata residents can now apply for the $300 rebate with their strata’s permission. Full details including the new application form are posted on FortisBC’s fireplace webpage. Strata residents cannot use this rebate towards the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program Two Upgrade Bonus or Home Energy Improvement Bonus unless the customer has a FortisBC account in their name and the home is individually metered.
- Eligibility requirements and rebates are based on the date of the invoice. See the What Rebates are Available FAQ for information on how invoice date effects associated upgrade requirements and available rebates.
- What do the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Programs define as my Primary Heating System?
- Check out our rebate search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.