The most common locations for basement air leaks include:
- Along the top of basement walls where the cement or block foundation comes into contact with the wood frame
- Holes for wiring and plumbing going into external walls
- Any holes or gaps where the electrical, gas or oil fill pipes go through the wall
- Furnace flues
- Leaky ducting or poorly fitted hot-air registers
- Around window and door framing
- Cracks in the foundation wall and slab
- Floor drains
For more information, visit ENERGY STAR®.
Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.