During your first interview with a potential contractor it’s important to obtain as much information as possible. This will help you determine the contractor’s credibility and capacity to carry out your home-building or renovation project. Below are a list of key questions to ask contractors:
- What is the history of your company?
- What services do you offer?
- What work are you, and/or your subcontractors licensed to do?
- Have you done a job similar to ours before?
- Can we talk to some of your past clients?
- Can we visit one of your current projects?
- Do you carry Workers’ Compensation and business liability insurance?
- What kind of warranty do you offer and what does it cover?
- Will you take out all required permits for the job?
- Will we get a written contract?
- How would you deal with our project?
It will be useful to record the answers during each interview because it allows you to compare the contractors and help you choose the right one for the job.
Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.